So you’ve heard people talking about how they love hiking. Maybe you know someone who has traveled all over, hiked every mountain, explored every trail, and you’re there thinking, what is so great about this activity? What is so interesting about hiking that makes people fall in love with it? This activity has lots of social, mental, and health benefits. But, it also has its drawbacks.
In this article, we’ll be looking at the various benefits and disadvantages of hiking so that you can know if it’s suitable for you.
The Benefits of Hiking
1. It improves blood circulation in the body to enhance cardiovascular and overall body health.
2. For people struggling with excess weight, hiking is a great activity to cut off those extra pounds. With hiking, you can burn over 300 calories depending on the intensity.
3. It contributes greatly to mental well-being. As you go on a hike, you leave all the busy work life behind and go exploring nature. Here, you’ll be able to think clearly, breathe fresh air, improve your moods, and reduce your stress levels. You can learn more on this page.
4. If you find that you’re spending lots of time indoors alone, take up hiking either with a friend or family member and enjoy its social benefits. Also, you’ll get to meet strangers along the way where you’ll interact and build strong relationships.
5. Depending on the load you’re carrying, hiking can help improve overall body fitness. It strengthens body muscles and core to increase a person’s balance, coordination, and flexibility.
6. It helps to fight health problems such as obesity, heart disease, high cholesterol levels, and increased body fat.
The Disadvantages of Hiking
1. This activity is affected by harsh weather conditions. If it’s raining heavily, you can’t organize a successful hike.
2. It has various safety concerns such as slipping and falling, especially if you’re hiking in places with dangerous trails.
3. High altitude hiking can cause nausea, fatigue, mild headache, and lightheadedness.
4. Hiking is physically demanding and you may experience muscle soreness for some time.
If you’re going on a hike, ensure that you pack all the essential items such as a first aid kit, GPS, rain clothes, sunscreen, and a phone. Don’t forget to carry some food and water. Also, never hike alone; always go in the company of friends or relatives. This way, if anything happens, you will have people to help you out.